What is Botox?
Botox is a purified protein that comes from the Clostridium Botulinum bacterium. When injected into a muscle, it stops the nerve impulse from reaching the muscle, thus preventing it from contracting (or flexing) as strongly. This causes the muscle to weaken and relax, allowing the overlying skin to soften and causing wrinkles in the area to disappear. Botox has been in use for many years and is approved by the FDA for the treatment of wrinkles, TMJ pain, and pain due to headaches
What areas are treated with Botox?
- Vertical lines/frown lines between the eyebrows
- Forehead or worry lines
- Crow’s feet around the eyes
- Around the eyebrows to provide a gentle lift
- Bunny lines on the nose
- Smoker’s lines (vertical lines around the lips)
- Dimpling of the chin (“peach pit” chin or peu D’Orange chin)
- Sad ‘frowning’ corners of lips (“bitterness folds”)
- Masseter and temporalis muscle for TMJ pain